Saturday 26 September 2020

Call Me ‘Dev’, Just ‘Dev’



These are the words of Dev Anand. In his autobiography 'Romancing With Life', he writes, "Those I am closest to, those who like and love me, I tell them, call me 'Dev', just 'Dev',"
Waheeda Rehman in an interview said  "My very first film in Hindi -- CID -- was with Dev Anand. I was a big fan of him. So you can imagine my excitement and nervousness at doing a film with him. On the very first day on the sets, when I called him 'Dev Saab' he turned around and said 'No no, call me Dev'.
"I couldn't bring myself to call him by his first name, that wasn't my upbringing. So I suggested I call him 'Anandji'. He glared at me and said, 'Do I look like a schoolteacher to you?' The next day when I called him 'Dev Saab' he looked around as though he didn't know whom I was addressing. I had to finally call him 'Dev' and 'Dev' he remained until the end."
Dev Anand was of the view that if any of his heroines call him Mr, Saab or Ji, it will be difficult for him to romance that heroine in that film. We all know how Dev Anand successfully worked as a romantic hero to the heroines much younger to him He is still called King of Romance.
Dev Anand in his biography wrote that his mother used to call him Dev so did his family members and the close circle of people around him. His father used to call him "Dev-aan. In Punjab "aan" being an additional pampered prolongation, very common calling somebody name.
When he was born "Dharam" was prefixed by their family purohit to Dev.to form his full name. This name continued all throughout his school and college days, in fact, many of his friends used to call him 'DD'. His full name was Dharam Dev Anand, Anand being his family Surname.
When he stepped out of that world and started to identify his identity, he decided to remove 'Dharam' thinking that the three-word name, 'Dharam Dev Anand' would be too heavy. He wanted to retain his surname so that if ever he attains any fame and glory his family should get its full credit for his achievements.
In his first film Hum Ek Hain released in 1946, he was introduced as Dev Anand. He continued to be Dev Anand in all future films. After a few years, people started to call him Dev Saab out of love and respect, maybe he started his company very early and became a boss.
In his biography he said that those I am close to, those who like and love me and I love them call me Dev, just 'Dev', short and sweet, just possessive
Song of Munimji 1955

Song of Paying Guest 1957

Song of Solva Saal 1958

Song of Love Marriage 1959

Song of Kala Bazar 1960

Song of Hum Dono 1961

Song of Asli Naqli 1962

Song of Tere Ghar Ke Samne 1963

Song of Sharabi 1964

Song of Guide 1965
























No comments:

Post a Comment